Our Environmental Law Department is led by Juan Ignacio Xiberta, who has developed his professional career and experience over the course of 25 years.
Despite counselling in this area being very specialised, it is offered from a comprehensive approach, in close collaboration with other professionals of the Firm so as to meet the needs of both the Public and the Business Law sectors (companies, associations and officers), and particularly, with industrial companies, waste managers and entrepreneurs associations.
Law is a complex system; therefore the various specialities involved are far from being organised in hermetic departments. For this reason, collaboration between our teams is essential.
We specialise in waste, water, odours and noise matters and in environmental licenses and permits or procedures.
By way of an example, our customers rely on us for the following:
- Representing their interests in environmental committees of entrepreneur associations or before public administrations.
- Appearing in proceedings whereby information is made available to the public or members of a neighbourhood community and present their opinions in procedures for the granting of environmental permits or licenses, legislative procedures, etc.
- Advising them on proceedings with environmental implications: waste, obtaining and modifying integrated environmental permits and problematic environmental licenses for all types of disposal sites, valuation of used tyres, sanitary waste, planning and development of management strategies for different waste streams in order to recircularise materials and reduce waste treatment and management costs.
- In other environmental vectors −water waste discharges−, we assist them with noise and odour pollution reports, the legalisation of wells or the municipalisation of water supply services.
- Drafting recommendation handbooks to comply with all the applicable regulations, as well as reports and guidelines on environmental issues.
- Designing company environmental policies in order to increase the company’s sale value or the chances to be awarded a public contract.
- In the context of civil litigations, we assist them in civil liability proceedings due to, among others, the malfunctioning of facilities and equipment and the breach of contracts regarding environment matters.
- In Due Diligence reviews: analysis of environmental aspects.
- Infringement and contentious-administrative proceedings.
- Subsidies refund proceedings.
- Drawing up binding terms in commercial contracts with environmental implications. For example: designing wastewater treatment plants, providing waste management services, acquiring equipment, etc.
Such a new and complex subject raises doubts among all the operators involved. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a smooth and close relationship with public institutions because, together, we develop Environmental Law.
“It is essential to maintain a smooth and close relationship with public institutions. Together, we develop Environmental Law.”